In the past couple of days, many fake bitcoin wallets have made their way into Apple’s App Store, which are designed to steal unsuspecting user funds.
We were alerted to the fact that several new bitcoin wallets have appeared in the App Store, however, they are all imposter apps not designed by the real company they are claiming to be. Why would someone create fake bitcoin wallet apps in the first place? The answer is simple: so that someone can steal your money.
iOS users, beware of a fake version of our wallet in the App Store. The only legit link for our iOS wallet is -> https://t.co/6Ff5zGzim7
— Blockchain (@blockchain) August 5, 2016
In a social media post, new apps were identified which are all fake and all were approved for the App Store within the past couple of days. A helpful way to figure out if these are the legit app or not is to actually check the company’s website to see if their app listing is the same as the one that is being posted to the App Store. If it’s different, and the fake app is pretending to be the real app, then it’s an imposter.
Here is the list of fake apps that have shown up in the past couple of days:
- GreenAddress – Bitcoin Wallet https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/greenaddress-bitcoin-wallet/id1139753685?mt=8
- Simple Bitcoin Wallet https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simple-bitcoin-wallet/id1138700421?mt=8
- Simple Bitcoin Wallet ™ https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simple-bitcoin-wallet/id1140433170?mt=8
- GreenBits Bitcoin Wallet https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/greenbits-bitcoin-wallet/id1138675915?mt=8
- Bitcoin Wallet https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitcoin-wallet/id1137555856?mt=8
- Bitcoin Armory Wallet – bitcoin offline wallet https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitcoin-armory-wallet-bitcoin/id1139569125?mt=8
- Blockchain – Offline Bitcoin Wallet https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blockchain-offline-bitcoin/id1140411956?mt=8
- BitcoinCore – Bitcoin Wallet https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitcoincore-bitcoin-wallet/id1140170409?mt=8
- BitGo – Bitcoin Wallet by Bit Coin https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitgo-bitcoin-wallet/id1140807310?mt=8
Fortunately, through community reports, all of the above fake apps have been removed by Apple. However another listing has come up for Coinbase called “Coinpase” which is an obvious imposter. But for a new user just searching for bitcoin wallets in the App Store, this could be a fatal consequence. This listing is still available in the App Store at the time of this writing, and should be avoided and removed as well.
To report the app to Apple, do the following:
- Go to https://reportaproblem.apple.com from your mobile device
- Enter the Apple ID and password that you used to download the app, then choose Sign In.
- Choose Report a Problem next to the item you want to report.
- Choose your problem from the menu.
- Follow the onscreen steps, make sure to report it’s a fake wallet app.
This should help serve as a warning to users going to the App Store, always double check the listing with the official company website to make sure it’s legit.
Use Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash to play online casino games here.