Ledger has announced a new hardware wallet that they have released called the “Nano S” which is a secure bitcoin and ethereum hardware wallet.
The device connects to any computer through USB and embeds a built-in OLED display to double-check and confirm each transaction with a single tap on its side buttons.
Ledger is the maker of a few different hardware wallets. One of the main advantages to using a hardware wallet is your bitcoins are kept offline, and the devices help protect against malware.
In the announcement post, the main features of the new wallet design are:
- Cryptographic secrets protected by a secure chip
- Bitcoin and Ethereum support (Open Source apps)
- Confirmation of transactions on the embedded screen
- Built-in 4 digits PIN security lock
- Built-in onboarding (seed generation and recovery)
- BIP39 seed (12/18/24 words), easy backup and restoration
- Multi-apps support: FIDO U2F, GPG, SSH…
- USB connectivity
- Foldable and compact casing
- Compatible with Ledger Wallet Bitcoin Chrome application and Ledger Wallet Ethereum Chrome application
The hardware wallet market has become quite competitive lately, as more devices have entered the market and those that have been on the market already continue to innovate. For example OpenDime is a new disposable wallet, and there is the new Jaxx Ice Cube that is coming soon.
The Nano S is now available for pre-orders and shipping starts the end of July 2016 on a first come first serve basis. The price point at this time is $58 EUR.